Almost every investigation involves cell phones at some point and law enforcement investigators need to understand how to obtain all of the available information from them. This class will explore the methods of exploiting a suspect’s cellular phone, phone company records, and third-party data sources to assist investigations involving narcotics trafficking, homicide, sex crimes, gang related offenses, identity theft, and other types of criminal activity. Attendees will have a greatly increased awareness and appreciation of the evidence and intelligence located in a mobile device and provides students with the tools and training to prepare search warrants to legally obtain that evidence.
Topics will include:
- Search Warrants-Updated language for cellular service providers to capture all available information, avoiding common search warrant errors and omissions, obtaining prompt responses, and dealing with slow or non-compliant providers
- Search Warrant Returns-You received the data from the search warrant, what now? How to understand and apply call detail record analysis, cell site location information, specialized location technologies, and other data obtained from search warrants;
- Location History-Obtaining location information from Android and Apple iOS devices;
- Electronic Surveillance-Cell phone ‘pings’, pen registers, and wiretaps;
- Google Location History-The proper application, use, and courtroom testimony regarding reverse location searches (AKA ‘geofence warrants’);
- Burner Phones-How to investigate criminals using prepaid phones, second phone number applications, or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP);
- Application and Social Media Investigations-Methods for investigating the applications and social media services installed on a mobile device;
- Locked Devices-Options for dealing with locked mobile devices including other sources of evidence;
- Tools and Resources-Free sources for specialized tools, training, and other resources.
Chasing Cell Phones
Wednesday, December 6, 2023 - Thursday, December 7, 2023, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm PST