This Training is for Active Police, Probation, Corrections, Agents, and Analyst Only
Virtual Training1 Day/$100
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This course is intended for all law enforcement officers with an interest in social media investigations and will focus on Snapchat investigations. This course is relevant to patrol officers, street crimes team members, and investigators working in assignments related to narcotics, firearms, gangs, sex crimes and violent crime.
The following subject matter will be covered:
- Snapchat 101: How Snapchat Works
- Why Offenders Use Snapchat
- Consent Searches
- Emergency Disclosure Requests
- Snapchat Search Warrants, Pen Registers and Wire Taps
- Preservation Letters
- Writing & Serving Legal Process to Snapchat
- Must Use Legal Process Language
- Pen Registers and Daily Updates from Snapchat
- Deciphering Snapchat Warrant Return Data
- Identifying target account holders and proving use
- Preserving and presenting evidence
- Snapchat GPS & Location Data Records, and How to Utilize
- Research / Investigative Snapchat Accounts
- Proactive Narcotics & Firearms Trafficking Investigations
- 1040 of the Evidence Code / Sealing Orders
- Case Studies from Successful Snapchat Investigations
INSTRUCTOR: Tim Gooler has worked for a northern bay area law enforcement agency since 2015, and is currently assigned as Detective with the Property Crimes Investigations Team, tasked with investigating firearms manufacturing, trafficking, and a multitude of property crimes offenses. Det. Gooler was recognized in 2022 as the Peace Officer of the Year for the county he works in, the Detective of the Year for his agency, and in 2019 recognized as the California Robbery Investigator’s Association Officer of the Year.
Det. Gooler has authored dozens of search warrants and pen registers for cell phones, technology providers and social media providers. Det. Gooler has conducted dozens of Snapchat investigations involving search warrants and pen register / trap trace orders, which have resulted in arrests for firearms trafficking, narcotics sales, child exploitation crimes, child abuse, gang crimes and property crimes, and the seizure of numerous firearms and sales quantities of narcotics.
In addition to Tradecraft Training, Det. Gooler instructs courses in social media investigations for Northern California HIDTA, Central Valley HIDTA, CNOA, and the Robert Presley Institute of Criminal Investigation (ICI) Narcotics Course offered by the Fresno City College.